Monday, August 10, 2015

Home Love- A Series






Good morning!
How was your weekend? Ours was great! We celebrated the Pea's first birthday with a construction-themed party at his grandparents house! I'll post more about that tomorrow, but in the meantime I want to introduce you guys to a design series here on the blog, as well as share why interior design is so personal to me.
Well, the blog is called Design with a Pea and so it only makes sense that I throw some design in here.  Sometimes I need a design pick-me-up to get through the week... and so the idea for the Home Love series was born. If you know me you know that interior design is my thing. But, as other people with a thing know, it's easy to get stuck. I hope this series serves to keep me inspired and on the lookout for new things to share with you!
In keeping with my goal of being authentic on the interwebz, I aim to only share things that I either already own & adore or that I truly love. These things might not be "trendy" and sometimes they may be, but they are always going to be products and inspiration that reflect the kind of home I want to surround my people with.
 
And-last but not least-a word about interior design:
Why does design matter to me?
I have always been a creative person, but the real answer to this question is this: it has kept my heart fluttering and my soul happy longer than anything else in my life. I think other people with a thing can probably relate to this. Living in a space that reflects me makes me feel better about being that person. Now that I have a family, living in a space that reflects us feels unifying and safe. I have seen the same result in other people in my life and work who open themselves up to the idea that maybe the 'stuff' you surround yourself with has an effect on your mental and emotional well-being.
 
It's easy to think that focusing on making your surroundings "pretty" is shallow and meaningless. But humor me for a second and wonder...
If you were proud of the place you lived, and felt that it truly reflected you (and your family), would you be more likely to have friends and family over? More frequently, maybe? What kinds of conversations would come out of that? Would you read an old book in a comfy chair with a cozy blanket and some tea instead of zone out on your smart phone? What might you learn?  Would you paint with your kids more, knowing that you had the perfect place to put their creativity? Would you have a friend over to drink coffee out of cute coffee cups with?
 
It is my hope that this blog can help others to frame this idea in a different way- and that more people might realize that the spaces we live our personal lives in have a much more profound impact on our daily perspective and our relationships than we think.
I have found that interior design both calms me and lights me on fire- and I'm pretty sure that's the whole point right? What has that effect on you? I hope you are busy finding it!
XO,
Maddi
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment