Saturday, August 15, 2015

A Construction-Themed First Birthday Party!

 

 
Last Saturday was such a happy day!
We were so blessed to have all of our friends and family come celebrate our Pea turning One!! Gavin had absolutely no idea why all these people were there and why they were all talking to him but he decided to play it cool because they were bringing him presents and feeding him- pretty sweet deal.
We went with a construction theme because he loooooves anything with wheels, and his Daddy and Papa work in construction.
All the little details came together perfectly- with his Nana spear-heading the project!
Our friend Becky made him an amazing construction-themed cake, and all photos are courtesy of my sweet friend Molly.
And now...
The Take Away From A One Year Old's Birthday (Besides Anxiety):
  It's so striking to look back a little more than a year ago, when many of the same people were at the same house for my baby shower! So much has changed in a year, and I felt really blessed to see so many of the same faces, supporting us in a whole new chapter. In my previous post on Gavin's birthday I shared a letter I wrote to him the night before he was born. In it I mention that we were going through a lot of hard stuff during the time I was pregnant, and it was extremely hard for us to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
This year, we learned to be a family. Through hard stuff, and through great joy and excitement. We have learned to love each other absolutely, despite any outside circumstances- whether we are rich or poor, angry with each other or delighted to be in each others presence, exhausted emotionally and physically or ready to tackle another day.
Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think I can share a universal truth in my life that's become so clear in the last year:
God's foresight is always greater than my hindsight.
We have been brought through relational, emotional, and financial  storms to a whole new place of understanding and gratitude. Does that mean we're always grateful, or that we'll never slip into ingratitude or lack faith? Absolutely not. There are new storms that we get to walk through which I can tell you, I am super-duper not grateful for!
The lesson is in knowing that God's foresight has me covered. And I can worry and stress all I want, but it will never change the fact that there is a plan for our family that I know nothing about. And there are lessons I have yet to learn, in ways I may or may not love to learn them.
 I just get to either enjoy, or stress about the journey we're on.
 I think that these days I choose to enjoy it a little bit more.
XO,
Maddi

   
 



No comments:

Post a Comment